In 1823 in Greensboro, Alabama, the State Baptist Convention met and appointed eight home missionaries to do work in different parts of the state. Two were sent south to organize churches in Baldwin County. Alexander Travis and Dempsey Winborne were elected as the missionaries that were sent to Baldwin County to organize churches.
In 1846, Elder Thomas Nelson was ordained to the full work of Gospel ministry in South Baldwin County. He was one of the first resident missionary Baptist preachers residing and preaching here.
The old Baptist Mission was organized in 1855 with eight members. These faithful eight began our church in a simple pine pole shanty across the present inter-coastal canal.
The church was later moved to the bayou, located on the Steiner estate close to Mobile and Bon Secour Bay. Reverend Hans Peter Hanson was pastor. He was ordained a Baptist Minister in 1875. In 1897, a wind storm destroyed the old pine flat or Baptist Mission, that had served as church and school.
A new church was built by the bayou near a big magnolia tree. This was the first church in the area built of planed lumber, and it was painted white inside and out, making it a very pretty church. When Brother Hanson resigned, Brother J.D. Wilks became pastor. Church services were held at the church until the 1906 storm at which point the church and all records and books were destroyed.